Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summertime, summertime, sum sum summertime drinks


I recently gave up meat, chicken, pork. I am on the slow boat to veganism. No desire to take the bullet train. Making my transition nice and slow.

Just writing those words…MEAT...CHICKEN...PORK...makes me want to hurl. Saying it is bad enough, but smelling it…UGH. Anything with a face, goodbye!  It’s been about 4 months. I also gave up caffeine and alcohol (however, I did go off the wagon and poison my body with two drinks this past July 4! ). However, just like a married man can fantasize about a hot 20 year old with a perfect body, I can still fantasize about my drinking summers past and my favorite poisons!  Remember, I am not a bartender, so I am not giving precise measurements. Figure it out for yourselves!

Cotton Candy Martini-The last time I had one of these, I couldn’t finish it. My friend, no joke, fell over backwards in her chair after two and fell asleep. You basically fill a martini glass 3/4 with vodka and put a big wad of Walmart cotton candy on top. The cotton candy melts and you have bright pink or blue pure vodka! Basically, 2-3 shots of hot pink vodka in a glass. Deadly.


Gummy Bear Martini-Mix raspberry vodka, diet 7Up (you know to save a few calories...haha!), peach schnapps in a shaker and put a handoff of gummy bears in the martini glass before you pour in the mixture. If you want to go really decadent, make those chocolate-covered gummy bears.
Pineapple Vanilla Martini-Mix vanilla vodka, blue curacao and pineapple juice together. Shake. That's about all.

Low carb margarita-FAVORITE.DRINK.EVER. Mix Patron Silver with pure lime juice and a splash of Triple Sec in a shaker with ice. Heavily salt a glass. Pour into a glass. Open your mouth and throw it back!

Long Island Ice Tea (Rob-style)-One of these and you will not be able to walk. Here’s my version. Get the largest glass you can find. Fill with equal amounts Patron Tequila, Myer's Rum, Grey Goose Vodka and that Gin with the crazy-looking boar on the cover. Then add some Coke Zero and squeezed lemon and swirl. Crazy good. One per customer, please.

Death in the Afternoon-Named after a Hemingway novel and was “invented” by Hemingway himself. His exact instructions were: "Pour one jigger absinthe into a Champagne glass. Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness. Drink three to five of these slowly."  I do not recommend drinking that many! This has an interesting taste. I tried Absinthe for the first time two years ago and was not a big fan. I had hoped to channel Marilyn Manson and see green fairies but all I got from Absinthe was the taste of Nyquil in my mouth. However, the champagne cuts the Absinthey taste.


Banana Daiquiri-I admit it, I love these. Daiquiris make me feel like I am 70 years old and playing Mahjong but damn, they taste good. Here’s how they roll…combine light rum, triple sec, half a banana, one packet of Splenda and ice in the blender. You can figure out the rest. Watch out for the monkeys.

La Paloma- Combine tequila (reposado, preferably), lime juice, and salt in a tall glass. Add ice, top off with Fresca and stir. Really? Fresca plus Tequila. What's better than that in July?

That’s all! Drink responsibly. I will have to live vicariously through my blog since I won’t be having any of these this summer! I don't think...




No comments:

Post a Comment