Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Happiest Day of My Life (July 12, 2000)




 

I really never wanted to have children. I was perfectly fine going through life, having a great time, working hard and building my career. I did not want children.

Well, I turned 30 and changed my mind.  I decided that I didn't want to miss out on anything in life. On October 31, 1999 (Halloween, my favorite day ever and my second wedding anniversary), I found out that I was pregnant. I then decided I had to have a son and thought I would be a much better "boy” mom than a "girl" mom. When the ultrasound tech told me I was having a boy (I do not like surprises. AT ALL). I cried. A LOT. 
I was completely thrilled.


Sparing you all the gory details, on July 12, 2000 at 3:01 PM, my beautiful son, Griffin Ty Anthony Woytaszek was born. Griffin was a name that I had loved since the 70s (when I read that the author Dominick Dunne had a son named Griffin and at the time, it was very unique). Ty was the name his father wanted to be his first name (after Ty Cobb, as he is a baseball fanatic). Anthony was after my beloved grandpa, who was probably, aside from my son, one of the kindest people I have ever known. I was adamant that my son was going to have a strong, meaningful name.


Giving birth is a complex experience. Aside from the fact that it is painful, although not quite as painful as you imagine it will be, it is actually a very spiritual, uplifting experience. And it’s physically hard work. The way your body just takes over and you are on autopilot, no longer in control. That baby is coming OUT; whether you are going to assist with it or not! It’s a crazy feeling for a control freak like me.

You cannot believe that you created a life and now, you have to take care of that little life. Forever. Watching his father cry real tears of joy as he held his son for the first time is probably the moment of our marriage that I will cherish the most. When Griff asks about his birth, he always says, "Tell me about the time Dad cried like a school girl"...

My life has not been the same since. Since the first time I looked into those big brown eyes, I was in deep. Griffin and I have a very interesting relationship. I feel everything that he feels; we are connected in a way that I have never experienced. I know what he is thinking before he says anything. When he gets off the bus, I can tell what kind of day he has had. He is the kindest, gentlest, most polite, loving person I have ever known. I thoroughly enjoy his company. He’s just, simply put, a good kid. The greatest gift I've ever received from the universe.

Now, I have to be honest. I have been “into” astrology since I was 8. I was not thrilled that I was having a Cancer child. My first thought when I found out I was a pregnant and due in July was "what the hell am I going to do with a Cancer baby?"...Aries eat Cancers for breakfast. I have a big, strong personality. Cancers do not. I was concerned. However, the best part is, my sensitive Griffin has a Sagittarius moon, so he gives me a run for my money, temper-wise. We are in for some battles in the teenage years.

Eleven years have passed since that day. The little boy who used to love to take a bath no longer wants to bathe without a fight (It’s MY body, Mom, I don’t care if it's clean!). The little boy who loved to have his hair cut now refuses to cut his hair (It's MY hair, Mom! ) Pokemon toys have been traded for Axe body wash. Spiderman cartoons have been traded for his online blog and Twitter account. Swinging on swingsets has been replaced with one skateboard after another. Each step is a step away from you. It’s difficult. But part of the journey of motherhood. I signed up for this, I know.


Griff likes to jokingly say “Mom, don’t you know, I’m the whole package!” But really, he is. Kind, smart, musical, beautiful, loving, caring, engaged, compassionate, fair, empathetic and concerned. That’s my boy.  


Happy Birthday, little boy. Please don't grow up too fast.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blog. You are a great Mom my loving daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog. Enjoying all of these blogs, my dear Rob. Where have I been? Thanks for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Wend. I try to do at least two a month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me cry every time I read it! It's absolutely beautiful. Griffin is a lucky son. xx

    ReplyDelete