Thursday, May 19, 2011

Remembering Dublin (Localization, WB Yeats, Colm Meaney, The Dead and U2)


Although it is affected by the financial downturn of 2008 as is everyone else, Dublin is often called the Silicon Valley of Europe due to the high concentration of pharmaceutical and information technology companies located there. Many IT companies also have their European headquarters in Dublin. Ireland as a country is a tax haven for big corporations. According to Jeff Brink (Chief Operating Officer of Merrill Brink International, a localization vendor), “No one talks about Ireland as the cheapest place to get things done, but it has become the command and control as well as the technological center for much of the world’s localization.” He also goes on to say that “All eyes seemed to have turned to India and China, but Ireland is as strong as ever,” But he also admits, “Its role has changed.” It is still a localization center but a lot of localization is done out of India and China, these days. Work in Dublin seems to be more focused on development and implementation of technologies and standards, as localization moves to other locales.

 
Only a 6 hour plane ride from Boston and having worked in the localization industry for 16 years, I had to travel to Dublin and I just fell in love. I stayed in a wonderful old hotel across the street from St. Stephen's Green. Every time I walked past this mini Central Park, I could hear the Dead’s "St. Stephen" singing in my ears (I am actually listening to it while I write this, for inspiration). The people are friendly, nice, attractive and relaxed.

Contrary to popular belief, you rarely see a redhead (at least that was my experience). Most people have dark hair and light skin (“Black Irish”, as it is called). There were two things I needed to do while in Dublin. One was to visit the Clarence Hotel (owned by U2 but no, they never showed up) and the other, to visit Dublin Writers Museum (being a big fan of WB Yeats and no he never showed up either, being dead for many years!!!). I also visited a suburb of Dublin called DUN LAOGHAIRE (pronounced “Dun Leary”). Absolutely beautiful. And yes, I went to a pub or two. My favorite being the Queens Pub in nearby Dalkey.

People tend to forget that Ireland is a BILINGUAL country. They speak English and they speak Irish, as we call it in the localization industry (also known GAELIC). Many signs are in Irish and hard to read. And Dublin is a walking city. I was able to get everywhere on foot. This is also the first place anyone ever asked me if I wanted “STILL” or “SPARKLING” water. Still waters run deep? And it is cold in summer! I had to wear a jacket in July.

My favorite memory is going into the famed Waterstone’s book store (I love bookstores) and looking for the perfect book. Being such a moviephile, I looked up and over my shoulder was Colm Meaney (the Irish character actor who was in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, The Commitments, The Snapper) and I was expecting a big scene and I looked around and NO ONE was reacting. I looked at him again, he smiled at me, brought his book to the counter, paid for it. And that was it. No autograph seekers, no fiasco. No one seemed to care. That seems to sum up my experience with the Irish people...live and let live.

 

I hope to return with my children in the near future. They are 50% Polish (as their father is 100% Polish) but they are also about 25% Irish (the other 25% being a combination of Italian, Danish and German). There is so much I want them to see. The beauty of Trinity College, the Ha Penny bridge, the River Liffey, etc etc etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment