Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Top Ten Reasons I Still Heart Long Island

Inevitably, when your parents and grandparents grew up in New York City (Queens; my mom and Brooklyn; my dad), you will probably end up growing up on Long Island, the 118 mile suburb of NYC. City dwellers dream of a backyard, fresh air, close proximity to the beach and a more private setting.

While growing up on LI, as beautiful and peaceful as it was, I never felt like I belonged there. A square peg in a round hole kind of feeling and I could not wait to go off to college. Somewhere else. I really wanted to go to NYU or Columbia but was not allowed to go to Manhattan for college. Too dangerous, I was told! So, I went to Boston instead and more than 25 years later, I am still living in Massachusetts (if you had told me that at 18, I would have laughed).

Looking back now, I appreciate LI like I never did as a child or teenager. There are so many things I still love about that island and here they are (not in any particular order):


10) My family
When I see the Welcome to New York sign as I pass through the Bronx, I always get a warm feeling. I am home. All my cousins (who are like my brothers and sisters) welcome me with open arms, ask about my life, laugh with me, cry with me, etc. When I leave to drive home, my uncle or a cousin usually checks my tires to make sure I will "drive safe”. (My husband had never ever done that).Once during the beginning of my emotional turmoil a few years ago, my cousin walked me out to the car as I was leaving and as I started to cry, he hugged me and I told him that this very strong girl was really scared for the first time in her life. He said to me, "I KNOW you will be OK; I have known you for a very long time and you have never NOT BEEN OK”…it meant the world to me and I still think about it often. And he was right. I am OK. Better than OK. HAPPY. I LOVE MY FAMILY. Nobody loves you, knows you or accepts you like your family. Thank you for all your love and support for 40 something years. In the words of Billy Joel, You’re My Home…


9) Diners
Anything you want, anytime, anywhere, the diners on Long Island are there for you. They are usually owned my Greek people so the Greek selections are unreal. Breakfast, 6 course meal, sugar free cake, full bakery selection of whole cakes and pies. And always, always, free cookies and mints on the way out. Why don’t other states get with the program and offer these diners? I see them in CT and NJ but nowhere else.

8) The black and white cookie
This elusive half chocolate, half vanilla, half cookie, half cake cannot be found outside the tri-state area (CT, NY, NJ). Massachusetts has imitiations of it but they do not taste anything like the NY original. This dessert is completely worth all the carbs and calories and sugar. I never visit LI without eating one. Or two.


7) Port Jefferson
Love.this.town. I have always loved Port Jeff. I would drive there every Friday night in the summer in high school. Provisions was always my favorite store. I still try to visit there each time I am on LI. Both my kids have grown to love it, as well. There is even a tiny spiritual, new-agey bookstore there now.



6) 80s music
Whenever I turn on the radio, I hear the music that I used to love to listen to when I lived in NY in the 80s. Grandmaster Flash, the Dazz Band, all of it. It’s like my own personal iPod on the radio.

5) The Brennan family
I met my oldest friend when I was 8. This family lived across the street from my grandparents. We are still friends. We still laugh like we did when we were small, there are still Doritos waiting for me when I arrive, we still tease each other about the things we always did. My second family. I don't always get to see them when I go home but I am always thinking about them. Katrina, Barbara, Christine, Ericka, Diane, I couldn't love you more. 

 

4) The bagel
When you grow up on LI, breakfast consists of coffee and a fresh, hot bagel. I ate this every day of my life from ages 5-18 (and I actually started drinking coffee at 5, no joke).
Now that carbs terrify me, I only indulge when I am in NY. Besides, bagels in MA consist of weird-tasting bagels that come in a plastic bag. Awful.

 

3) Mozzarella cheese
What they have in Massachusetts tastes like Monterey Jack cheese. I have never understood why it tastes so different. No Polly-O here in MA; only Polly-O string cheese. It also makes the lasagna taste very different. So sad. So very sad….


2) Men
While I was walking around an outdoor mall this weekend, I said to myself, I have never seen so many fake boobs and beautiful men in one place! Just like they did when I was a teenager, the LI men aged 18-35 take VERY GOOD care of themselves. Always in shape, always tan, nice teeth. Vanity isn’t always a bad thing!

1) Ralph’s Italian Ice
I have always loved Italian ices. My favorite as a child growing up on LI was Marino's Cola flavor. Can you get Cola flavor in MA? Absolutely NOT. You used to be able to get Italian ices (scooped up in a squeeze cup) in any pizzeria on LI. Now, they have this fab place called Ralph's Italian Ice on LI. I could write love poems to this place. Heaven. Ice Cold Heaven. My favorite? Iced Tea, Cola and Margarita flavors. Would like to open one of these in Lowell, MA. I think it would do very well.




Wow, so most of my favorites are food-related. Well, I do have to say that I starve myself and exercise like crazy the week before one of my weekend trips to LI so I can eat everything and anything I want. Let's just say, today, I walked 7 miles to make up for the damage.

Until next time, Long Island…

1 comment: