Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cinco de Mayo and Patron-Corona Margaritas…



Why do I celebrate Cinco de Mayo? It’s simple; any excuse to drink Patron
and eat Mexican food, count me in. But I started thinking yesterday-what is really being celebrated? I didn’t know. And I like to know what I don't already know...


According to my research, Cinco De Mayo, The 5th Of May, commemorates the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862. It is primarily a regional holiday celebrated in the Mexican state capital city of Puebla and throughout the state of Puebla, with some limited recognition in other parts of Mexico, and especially in U.S. cities with a significant Mexican population.

This is my first Cinco de Mayo since I gave up drinking alcohol and eating beef and chicken, so it should be interesting. I also wanted to pass on a recipe for Patron-Corona Margaritas (that’s right, I am passing on a recipe, which I never do because I don’t cook!). One caveat, do not drink these and decide to dive into a pool. I did that at my college reunion 5 years ago and very glad to say that aside from scratching up my face and a headache that lasted for 3 days, I am fine (and very lucky).

Patron-Corona Margaritas

Ingredients:

·  1 (12 ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate (semi-thawed)
·  12 fluid ounces Patron Silver tequila
·  6 fluid ounces 7-up or diet 7-up
·  6 fluid ounces cold water (or use 12 fl.oz. Seven-Up or water)
·  12 fluid ounces Corona beer
·  ice (lots of ice!)
·  1 lime (cut into wedges)

Directions:

  1. Pour the limeade, tequila, Seven-Up, water and beer into a large glass pitcher; stir with a long-handled spoon until completely blended and the frozen limeade has completely melted.
  2. Add in lots of ice.
  3. Adjust with extra water if the mixture is too sweet.
  4. Top each glass with a lime wedge on the end.




No comments:

Post a Comment